The mission of the Board of Evangelism of the Texas State Missionary Baptist Convention, is to lead the Convention in establishing evangelism under the above definition as its primary focus and priority by establishing stratagems that will focus our planning and programming from a national plateau involving our Regions, District Associations and Churches toward the accomplish of the Great Commission.
Christians are to go and make disciples of all nations. This was not a suggestion but a command! We must not allow Christ’s last command to be our least concern. We will work in partnership with our parent body National Baptist Convention, USA. Inc. to:
- Promote evangelism by making it a highlighted theme at Convention meetings.
- Make evangelism a primary focus that establishes clear evangelistic priorities.
- Train members in 21st century methods in reaching the lost and unchurched.
- Discipling for Evangelism ¾ Discipling new converts to evangelize.
- Establish an effective Evangelism Department to ensure that TSMBC member organizations have the proper tools and materials to enhance their evangelism needs.
- Work with the Department of Christian Education to develop a model program for discipling new converts.
- Develop a church planting strategy based on the Great Commission.
- Develop Evangelism workshops around the country.
What is Evangelism?
“Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you…” Matthew 28:19-20
The scriptural mandate of evangelism is Matt. 8:19-20, called the Great Commission. Evangelism— “Go ye therefore and teach all nations”—is a command to go and make disciples of all nations. It is a two-pronged enterprise. It involves winning the lost and making disciples of those won. (1) “baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: (2) Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you.”
- Going and witnessing, with the intent of reaching and winning the lost
- Making disciples of those won
A simple definition states that evangelism is reaching and teaching all nations.